Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Cost of Challenge

I mailed off my packages yesterday - all except for 2 that the post office refused - one didn't meet 1st class mail criteria and the other used a priority mail box. I sent them home with the kids today to fix and I am going to mail them tomorrow. My total bill came to right over $110! The kids really enjoyed this project and I feel that it was a wonderful thing for them to participate in. But how does everyone else pay for this? I was able to tap in to some money through a science consumable fund that we have. But, this is the last year for this fund so I am brainstorming for next year. I can't ask the students to pay, but I can't pay that much myself either. I hate to do it in only one or two classes - the other classes just wouldn't think that is fair. Most students worked in pairs already, so even if I required everyone to work in pairs, it wouldn't cut the total cost by very much. How does everyone else pay for this?

4 comments:

Mr. Lindgren said...

That definitely is a problem. We have a very cooperative PTO that gives me a $300 budget for this. That's for three teachers and 200+ students. It covers tape, wrapping material, Pringles, and postage. So far we've never gone over that.

Charlie

Mrs. Hengartner said...

I bought the Pringles (Thank goodness for Super Bowl snack sales!), sent out an email to the teachers asking if they had packing materials they could donate, but the kids brought in everything else. So, we ended up with some interesting boxes / packages!

I ended up with 73 packages - most did it in pairs, but not all. I guess next year i could requre them to work i pairs, but that wouldn't change too much because that would still be 60 packages.

Thoughts from anyone else about how to pay for this?

John Paydo said...

I teach 100 students sixth grade science. I assigned the Pringles Challenge as an enrichment opportunity. Students were required to mail on their own. Cost was about $2.00 a package.

Laurie Angel said...

I had students work in pairs and each students brought in $1.00 to cover postage. They brought in their own boxes, packing materials, and I also brought in many boxes supplied by our local hardware store and some packing materials. Not every student brought in a dollar, but since some of the packages were less that $2.00 I had enough money.

Laurie