Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Pringles Challenge Laugh

Two students came to me with a brilliant plan for the Pringles Challenge. They assured me they had tested their idea thoroughly and that their Pringle would NOT break in the package they would be using. Keep in mind these are two of the sweetest girls on the planet as far as middle school kids go. One of them pulls out a ziploc bag from behind her back and explains: "Mr. Williamson, we filled the bag with Splenda and put the Pringle inside." She then tossed it on the floor, picked it up, tossed it back and forth to her partner and said "See, it didn't break". My calm reply: "Girls, this is great, there's just one thing..." Puzzled looks on their faces..."Do you think it's really a good idea to send a ziploc bag filled with white powder through the postal service to another state?" Wide eyes, red faces and huge laughs from then on...One of my coworkers and I joked later when I told him they were going to be sent to Pennsylvania about the headlines "Pittsburgh Postal Service Evacuated...Mysterious white powder leaking from package originating from middle school in Newport, North Carolina"...ah, the joys of middle school!

1 comment:

Mr. Lindgren said...

Todd,

I had a similar experience, only we were on the receiving end! Our partner school's packages start to arrive, and they are filled with a GREEN powder. Luckily, one of my student's mothers was an emergency room nurse, and she had warned the child of the dangers of unknown powders. I e-mailed the school, and discovered that one of the mothers was a florist! She had taken the "stuff" (middle school scinece vocab. word) that flowers are embedded in, and sent it through a blender creating the powder. The chips did not do well.

Charlie